12 slices whole wheat bread
1 tbsp (15 m L) butter
¾ cup (175 mL) 2% evaporated milk
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
4 slices bacon, diced
6 green onions, finely chopped
2/3 cup (150 mL) Swiss cheese, shredded
1. Remove crusts from bread and, using a rolling pin, roll each slice of bread to approximately 1/8 inch (.5 cm) thick. Spread one side of each bread slice with butter. With the buttered side facing down, press each slice firmly into muffin cups. Bake at 325 °F (160 °C) for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine eggs, milk, mustard and cayenne pepper in a large 4 cup (1 L) measuring cup or medium size bowl. Set aside.
3. Sauté bacon until almost crisp. Add green onions and continue to cook until onions have softened. Drain fat.
4. Divide bacon and onion mixture evenly into 12 bread cups.
5. Pour a bit of egg mixture into each cup, allowing mixture to be partially absorbed. Continue to add more egg mixture, filling to about ¾ of each bread cup. Sprinkle each cup with cheese.
6. Bake at 325 ̊F (160 ̊C) for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Makes 12 appetizers.
Carbohydrate: 14.5 g
Protein: 8.6 g
Fat: 14.0 g
Sodium: 203.4 g
Fibre: 2.1 g