Sweet Potato Breakfast Stacks
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cut into 4 rounds (1 inch thick)
2 Tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
4 large eggs
2 tsp (10 mL) white vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup (250 mL) fresh baby spinach
4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and cut in halves
- Add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil to a large skillet over medium-low heat. Brown sweet potato slices 3 to 5 minutes per side. Salt and pepper sweet potato. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and cook until fork tender.
- Fill a large saucepan with 2 inches of water (5 cm), and bring to a boil. Add white vinegar. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Crack eggs into small individual bowls.
- Using a large spoon, create a swirl in the saucepan and drop 1 egg at a time in the center of the swirling water.
- Poach for 2-3 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved.
- Remove poached eggs with a slotted spoon and drain over a paper towel. Continue with remaining eggs.
- Once sweet potatoes have cooked remove from heat and set aside. Add remaining 1 Tbsp of oil to the warm skillet.
- Add garlic and spinach, stirring continuously to not over brown the garlic and wilt the greens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stack sweet potato rounds, topped with spinach, cooked bacon and a poached egg.
Nutrients per serving 1/4 of the recipe:
Calories: 325 g
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Fat: 30 g
Protein: 7 g
Sodium: 88 mg
Fibre: 1 g