Overnight Eggnog French Toast Bake
¼ (50 mL) butter, melted
7 large eggs
2 cups (500 mL) eggnog*
1/3 cup (80 mL) brown sugar
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
1 Tbsp (15 mL) rum or brandy extract (Optional)
1 loaf thick cut sliced Brioche bread (French bread can be substituted)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, eggnog, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, rum or brandy extract, orange zest and vanilla extract.
- Pour melted butter into an oven proof 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish.
- Dip both sides of each slice of bread in the egg mixture and place them side by side in the buttered dish. Pour any remaining mixture over the slices.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (This dish can be placed in the freezer and defrosted in the fridge the evening prior to baking).
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) covered with tin foil for 20-25 minutes on the middle oven rack. Uncover for the last 10 minutes to brown the top.
- Cool slightly once removed from the oven and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with Canadian Maple syrup.
*Make your own eggnog ahead of time: http://www.eggs.mb.ca/recipes/desserts/holiday-cheer-eggnog
** if eggnog is out of season milk can be used in substitution
Nutrients per serving:
Carbohydrates: 69 g
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 20 g
Sodium: 786 mg
Fibre: 2 g