Miso Vegetable Ramen Bowl
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp (25 mL) sesame oil
½ medium onion, chopped
1-inch (2.5 cm) piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. (45 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
2 Tbsp (25 mL) miso paste
2 cups (500 mL) fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 sweet pepper, chopped
1 cup (250 mL) baby bok choy, chopped
3 to 4 green onions, sliced diagonally (reserve garnish)
3 ounce (100g) packaged ramen noodles
Toasted sesame seeds, garnish
- Place eggs in a single layer in a small pot and cover eggs with cold water. Over high heat, bring eggs to a rolling boil. Turn off heat and cover pot with a lid, let stand in water for 10 minutes for hard-cooked or 6 minutes for soft-cooked large eggs. Drain water and immediately place eggs into an ice bath. Rapid cooling will prevent a grey-green ring from forming around the yolks. Peel eggs and slice lengthwise in halves.
- Add oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion and ginger and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and stir frequently for 1 minute. Whisk in soy sauce, broth, and miso paste.
- Add mushrooms and carrots and bring stock liquid to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add peppers, green onion and baby bok choy. Simmer 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Taste test the broth and add salt to taste if required. (soy sauce, broth and miso paste will add sodium to this stock)
- Remove soup from the heat and add ramen noodles. Allow to soften.
- Divide soup into bowls and serve topped with cooked eggs.
- Garnish with green onion and toasted sesame seeds.
Nutrients per serving, 1/4 portion sizes:
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Fat: 13 g
Protein: 13 g
Sodium: 1837 mg
Fibre: 2.5 g